What worship leader doesn’t love Hillsong?? Whether your favorite is Hillsong United, Hillsong, Hillsong Young and Free, or whichever…one thing is for sure: those people know how to worship. They also have some incredibly talented writers. Some of the most popular worship songs of this generation are from Hillsong.
I’ve been diving back into their music and I felt like I wanted to share some of my favorites with you. There’s so so many. I’ve been listening to Hillsong for years and each year, I just add more favorites to the list. I narrowed it down to my top 10 (very hard to do). I’ll also share a small snippet of why I love the song.
1. Oceans (where feet may fail)- I know, I’m sure you’re very surprised. This is probably one of the most known Hillsong songs. No matter how many times I hear it, it never gets old. This song came out at a very rough time in my life. I was at a place in my life where I needed these lyrics…I needed to cry these out at the top of my lungs to God. I was at a place in my life where I was in a lot of darkness and this song pulled that away and brought in light. This song said so many things I longed to say. Oceans never ceases to push me further into Gods presence…it’s still the prayer I want for my life.
2. Hosanna – anyone that knows me, knows this is “my” song. It was the song I loved to lead. It was one of the first songs I really ever led out in, and I loved that a girl sang it! But even to this day, Hosanna’s lyrics still hit home. “Break my heart for what breaks yours..” This is a phrase I still remember and pray over my life.
3. Touch the Sky – a newer Hillsong song, but still remarkable. The idea of the song is great-especially in a world full of pride and selfishness. “I touch the sky, when my knees hit the ground,” can I get an amen?? We are nothing and Christ is everything. When we are on our knees in submission to Him, then we are truly living.
4. From the Inside Out – this song was popular when I was a teen and in youth group. I always hated it because I could never find a good key, but this song is one I never cared if I sounded good, I just wanted to sing it from my heart. This song is very poetic and it paints a story. It will always be a favorite.
5. Desert Song – another one that just makes me want to shout it out! This song is so real. It talks about life when we are in the trials and in the deserts. Christianity isn’t always just an amazing happy life. We will face trials and heartache. This song reminds us we always have a reason to sing- God is always good. We always have hope and a reason to keep worshipping Christ. God is my victory, now and forever.
6. Came to my rescue – another great reminder. I’ve dealt with a lot of disappointment and people leaving me in my life–this song reminds me that God will always rescue me. This is an old one, but I still love it! God always answers. He’s never far away. This song declares that.
7. With Everything – this song holds a special place in my life. One year at camp, I was really wrestling with Gods calling on my life. I wasn’t sure it was Him or me acting like I knew what to do with my life. But during this song, I went and found my youth pastors wife and she prayed over me. I remember sitting in the back of the chapel watching hundreds of youth sing this song and I just let go, and told God yes. Yes I wanted to be used. Yes I wanted to lead worship. I had no idea what that meant. I didn’t know where it would lead me, but with everything in me, I said yes. I’ll never forget that moment or this song. Darkness trembled in Gods Holy light! Amen!
8. Wake – the thing I love about Hillsong Young and Free is the fact that it’s dance music, be fun music, and be crazy music but it still has very honest and real lyrics. This song is my favorite from their CD. My best friend and I often belt it out in the car with the windows down. It’s a fun one but still one I worship too!
9. Lead me to the cross – another old one, but good one! This one is a great reminder of what the cross did for us. And it causes us to be thankful and to sit and meditate on what Christ did for us. It’s a great anthem that proclaims Christ is the only thing we should count as gain in this world.
10. Cornerstone – this is a favorite of my church. I love this song because it’s not just about us and what God is to us. It’s about what God truly is and his nature. What he does and who he is.
I could name many more. I’ve enjoyed meditating on these songs and remembering moments they’ve impacted my life. Worship has always been such a huge part of my life. Worship music touches my soul and I’m so thankful for amazing leaders like Taya Smith, Brian Houston, Brooke Fraser, and many more. What are your favorite Hillsong worship songs?? I’d love to hear.
John McIntyre says
I notice you have only included recent Hillsongs works. Please don’t neglect what long-time followers might consider the golden age of Hillsong, from 1997-2004. It was a different style of music back then, but performed by very reverent, humble and gifted people like Mark Stevens, Russell Fragar, Erica Crocker, Lisa Young, Steve McPherson, Marty Sampson, Miriam Webster, of course Darlene, and maybe the greatest Christian song writer of recent memory, Reuben Morgan.
Hi! Thank you for your comment. These are just my personal top favorites, so I’ve mentioned the ones I’ve felt were powerful songs in my life. I will definitely have to go and make sure I listen to that era of songs from Hillsong that you’ve mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation.