Merry Christmas Eve Eve! I am so bittersweet that it is already here; this is truly my favorite season and I’m sad to see it almost over. BUT I’m still savoring every minute and moment that comes.
Today I wanted to get a little personal and share some of my families favorite Christmas traditions. Each family has their own, we know that, so I thought I would share some of my families favorite memories and traditions with ya’ll.
- After Thanksgiving, my family has a decorating night where we watch White Christmas and decorate the house for Christmas. Also, we have always had snack foods that night including the random, but always included, cream cheese and green olive sandwiches. That’s a family tradition that dates back to my dads family and childhood.
- We watch as many Christmas movies together throughout the month as possible. Any night we can spend together gazing at the Christmas tree and watching a movie together is a night well spent.
- We have two family favorite drinks during the holiday season: hot chocolate and cider. My mom and sister make the hot chocolate homemade. We make a big patch of powder and have it for the whole month. I, on the other hand, handle the cider. This years cider was amazing; full of cinnamon sticks and fresh cut apples that stewed for hours. YUM.
- On Christmas Eve, we really focus on the birth of Jesus and family. After the candle lit Christmas Eve service, we head to a restaurant, usually a new one, and enjoy a family meal together. Once we are home my sister and I open our new Christmas pajamas and change into them! My dad then reads the Christmas story and we listen and discuss. My family loves the Lord and always really try to focus, discuss, and worship during this holiday season.
- Christmas morning. My favorite! My sister and I wake up, brush our teeth and comb our hair then head to wake up my parents! This is a tradition from childhood that has stayed even if we didn’t live together. Once they are awake my sister and I make everyone a drink and we head to the living room and do presents as a family. After we finish, we head to my grandparents and have a big brunch, do presents with them, and then head to the movies.
These are just a few of my families traditions that I wanted to share. What is your favorite Christmas tradition?? I’d love to hear!